Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Illumination (of sorts)

*The kid in this photo is not my kid. Mine's cuter and more mischievous.

I occasionally share a small peek into the world of raising Boo with my friends on, you guessed it, Facebook. What is it with that site?

Considering just how off-the-wall that little blonde piece of work is, I thought I'd share a few anecdotes + quotes. Tuesday seems like a good day for this sort of thing. And for fish tacos from Rubios. Man, I love Taco Tuesday.

I'm thinking that in my Rants and Rambles world, I'll name today "Tick Tock Tuesday" in honor of how quickly the time is flying and how rarely I write down the wacky things that Boo says and does. Now, World, you can share in my zany I-could-never-have-planned-for-that life once a week, starring Boo. Lucky, lucky you!

In fact, I think I'll begin with today. Nice, calm, happy today. A day where nothing in particular is on the docket, apart from lots of NaNoing and doing my best to keep the Wee One out of trouble. And, really, today has been much better than it could be.

But today's story actually starts yesterday when Little Miss Mischief used the potty all by herself. Yay!

Sadly, Yay turns to Hiss right about the time that Boo locked the bathroom door. And, inexperienced parent that I am, I own zero keys for said bathroom. I thought that she would at least unlock the door when she was finished. Silly me.

When the tap water failed to turn off after several long minutes of hand washing, I started doing my best to coax her to the door to open it.

"Boo, sweetie, will you come open the door, please?"

"Okay, Mommy." A halfhearted jiggle, and then: "I can't." Very matter-of-factly.

It was at that point that I started to panic. She knew I didn't have immediate access, and she was determined to take full advantage.

The next five minutes (3 months in toddler time) involved a lot of yelling, threatening, jiggling of the handle, and utter desperation on my side of the door. It didn't help that water was starting to trickle out under the door onto the hardwood.

Finally, I found an old lanyard's hook that I was able to pry apart, flatten out, and barely fit into the little lock. The door opened, and inside was an absolutely delightful sight.

Water EVERYWHERE. And bubbles EVERYWHERE. And not just the floor. The walls, cupboards, towels, countertops, mirrors, and even the toilet paper. She had found the new potty seat we were taking over to her grandpa's house (fortunately unsoiled), and had figured out how to use it like a bucket in the sink. She had also dumped out an entire container of nearly-new handsoap.

Let's just say that I'm glad that the room ended cleaner than it started, unlike the paint and make up incidents a couple weeks back.

The best part of the story is that she tried to do it again today. For some stupid reason, I let her wash her hands long enough to dump out the freshly refilled bottle of handsoap all over the sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment