Thursday, October 29, 2009

A day off; or, I forget

When I go about my day, my brain tends to move a million miles an hour. Don't forget to buy x; You need to return y to soandso; It's been two months since the last time you cleaned z; You'll owe a late fee if you don't pay a,b,c,d,e,f and g. As soon as I sit down to make a list so that I won't forget, I've already forgotten. All of it. Except the part about checking email, Facebook, CNN.com, and Craigslist for the used something-or-other that I don't really need. I used to think I could do it all; now I think I could do with a personal assistant.

Today, the Hubster surprised B with a day at Disneyland. It was a wonderful experience for both, multiple tantrums and the scars left from a toddler spending 12 minutes on a dark ride featuring pirates aside. It was an even more wonderful experience for me: I had a day without screaming and crying, defiance, and constant loud chatter + screaming. It took me a mere 25 minutes to get ready, 30 seconds to get in the car, and 3 hours to do the most relaxing shopping I've enjoyed in years. Being an American, shopping is, of course, the default when you have time and aren't sure how to use it. I had a long list of things to do in my head, of course, but I'd forgotten them all by the time I sat down in the silent car, ready to drive off to a quiet public shopping center.

No comments:

Post a Comment